(WAFB) - It is that time a year where kids are getting ready to go back to school. What also comes with it is the time to buy uniforms, back packs and school supplies.
Here is a list of area businesses, organizations and churches receiving donations and giving away supplies in East Baton Rouge Parish and surrounding areas:
School Supply Giveaways
- The Assumption Parish School board will hold its 10th Annual Back-to-School Bonanza Saturday, August 15. The event will be held at the Assumption Parish Community Center from 9 a.m. until 3 p.m. The Assumption Parish School Board will be giving away backpacks and school supplies.There will also be health screening available and information and resources given for the upcoming school year. The parent must be in attendance to receive the supplies.
- The Excel Dance Company's Structure Program will be host a Back to School supply giveaway on Friday, July 31 at Cortana Mall. The giveaway will be from 6 p.m until 8 p.m. near Entrance #2. The event will be sponsored by Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Louisiana, The Baton Rouge Constable's Office, Georgia-Pacific Port Hudson and 100 Black Men. The child must be present to receive the school supplies.
- The Baton Rouge Area Violence Elimination will be presenting a free day of fun to assist children with returning to school. Brave will sponsor the CommUNITY Back-to-school Extravaganza at the Family and Youth Service Center Saturday, August 8 from 8 a.m. until 12 p.m. The event will focus on informing students and parents about the community resources at the FYSC to help them achieve success at home and at school. Teenagers are encouraged to attend the Teen Summit in the FYSC gymnasium from 9 a.m. until 11:30 a.m. for activities that cater specifically to that age group. BRAVE will also give away backpacks full of supplies to the first 500 attendees who pre-register for the festival online and complete all of the activity stations at the event. There will also be free door prizes, snacks, entertainment and community agency information and resources for all members of the community. More information can be found HERE.
- The Acceptance Ambulatory Clinic will hold their 4th Annual Back-to-School Drive Sunday August 2 at Madison BREC Park from 2 p.m. until 5 p.m. The event sponsored by chapters of the Baton Rouge Masonic and Eastern Star A.F. and A.M. and the Eastside Cruzers will give away school supplies, backpacks and school uniforms. The event will also have free food and other activities.
School Supply Drives
- Livingston Parish Assessor Jeff Taylor and volunteers will be accepting donations for their annual Assess the Need Livingston Parish School Supply Drive. Volunteers will be accepting donations outside of the Wal-Mart stores in Walker and Denham Springs on August 1-2 and 8-9 from 8 a.m. until 8 p.m. Monetary donations as well as donations of supplies will be accepted.Donations can also be mailed to P.O. Box 1802, Denham Springs, Louisiana 70727, given online at www.assesstheneed.com or dropped off at the Livingston Parish Assessor's Office from 7:30 a.m. until 5:30 p.m., Monday through Friday. Donations will then be sorted and made available to be picked up by the school principals before the start of school on August 7 so that they may be distributed to the kids on the first day of school.
- Infinity Hair by Jazz salon will be holding a school supply drive at both of its Baton Rouge locations at 12333 Jefferson Highway and 2621 Oneal Lane. Visitors who donate school supplies will receive $10 off of a hair service and $5 off of nail and barber services through August 15. School supplies can be dropped off from 9 a.m. until 6 p.m. Tuesday through Friday and 7 a.m. until 4 p.m. on Saturdays.