BATON ROUGE, LA (WAFB) - In East Baton Rouge Parish, the number of people killed in the first six months of 2015 was higher than last year.
By the end of June, 41 homicide investigations had taken place in Baton Rouge. That number includes murders, negligent homicides and justifiable homicides. In 2014, that number was 39.
So far in 2015, a majority of the homicides came in June, totaling 13. That's more than any other month in the last two years.
"Thirteen is just a ridiculously high number," said East Baton Rouge District Attorney Hillar Moore. "Not sure really where that came from, and its one we surely don't want to repeat."
A majority of the homicides from 2015 so far were shootings. Moore said drugs played a role in many of the murders.
"We hope to reach out to community, to families, to churches, the rest of the summer, preach the message of nonviolence," said Moore.
Moore liked to point out that the number of murders in fact is down compared to last year during this time with 32 compared to 34 in 2014, based on his tally. Compounded with negligent homicide and justified homicide, however, that trend reverses, showing 2015 to be deadlier.
NaQuian Robinson, 19, was the first homicide victim of the year. He was shot and killed during a robbery attempt on Jan. 6 on Walnut Street near the Scenic Highway.
"I remember just falling to my knees and just thinking what's going on," said Robinson's aunt, Gladys Wicker. "That's when time stopped and time hasn't started back."
Returning to the scene of NaQuian's death Monday, the family called for an end to violence.
"I'm not the only grandmother that this has happened to," said NaQuian's grandmother, Diane Robinson-Qaadir. "And I know these grandmothers are hurting, and these grandfathers, cause I am, I'm hurting, and I'm asking them to please stop, please."