BATON ROUGE, LA (WAFB) - A lightning strike may have sparked a house fire in the Santa Maria neighborhood.
It happened just after 4 p.m. Tuesday with firefighters getting the fire under control before 4:30. St. George Fire Department was dispatched to the house after the owner noticed smoke in the attic.
The lightning blew a hole through the roof which was covered with a tarp to prevent further water damage. The kitchen and living areas both suffered water damage, and the fire damage was limited to the attic.
No one was injured and St. George firefighters were able to rescue the family's cat from a bedroom closet.