BATON ROUGE, LA (WAFB) - Louisiana residents can purchase flashlights, batteries, portable generators and other emergency supplies, free of the four percent state sales tax, during the 2015 Louisiana Hurricane Preparedness Sales Tax Holiday.
The sales tax holiday will take place Saturday, May 30 and Sunday, May 31, right before the start of the six-month 2015 Atlantic Hurricane Season that begins on June 1.
The sales tax holiday exempts eligible items from the 4 percent state sales tax. The exemption applies to the first $1,500 of the purchase price of each item. Local taxes apply unless specifically exempted by local taxing authorities.
Eligible purchases include:
• Self-powered light sources, such as flashlights and candles
• Portable self-powered radios, two-way radios, and weather-band radios
• Tarpaulins or other flexible waterproof sheeting
• Ground anchor systems, straps or tie-down kits
• Gas or diesel fuel tanks
• Batteries, sizes AAA, AA, C, D, 6-volt, or 9-volt (Automobile batteries and boat batteries are ineligible)
• Cellular phone batteries and chargers
• Non-electric food storage coolers
• Portable generators
• Storm shutter devices (Materials and products manufactured, rated, and marketed specifically for the purposes of preventing window damage from storms)
• Carbon monoxide detectors