Investigators believe candle near combustibles started house fir - WAFB 9 News Baton Rouge, Louisiana News, Weather, Sports

Investigators believe candle near combustibles started house fire

File Photo File Photo
BATON ROUGE, LA (WAFB) -

Firefighters said a candle left too close to combustibles was to blame for a fire that caused significant damage to a home early Thursday morning.

The Baton Rouge Fire Department reported it happened on Tuscarora Street, which is near I-110 and Mohican Street, around 2:15 a.m.

Curt Monte with BRFD said seven people, including five children, made it safely out of the house. He added one adult was taken to the hospital by EMS for injuries that are not considered life-threatening.

Investigators reported it is believed the fire started in a back bedroom. The back of the home was on fire when crews made it to the scene.

Authorities said the flames spread through the hallway to another bedroom before the fire was brought under control. They added the rest of the home had smoke damage.

Copyright 2015 WAFB. All rights reserved.

Powered by Frankly