Home damaged in fire on Birch Street

Home damaged in fire on Birch Street

BATON ROUGE, LA (WAFB) - The Baton Rouge Fire Department responded to an one alarm fire in the 1800 block of Birch Street this afternoon.

According to officials, the first call came in around 2:30 p.m. When crews arrived they discovered heavy smoke coming from the single family home.

Crews had the fire under control around 3 p.m.

Officials say that the fire resulted from an overloaded extension cord being used to power a space heater.

The fire damaged the hall, attic and front porch of the home. The rest of the home received smoke and water damage.

There were no reported injuries in the fire.

Copyright 2015 WAFB. All rights reserved