Fire that reportedly started in clothes drier displaces family o - WAFB 9 News Baton Rouge, Louisiana News, Weather, Sports

Fire that reportedly started in clothes drier displaces family of 11

Source: Byron Thomas/WAFB Source: Byron Thomas/WAFB
BATON ROUGE, LA (WAFB) -

Officials said despite working smoke alarms and a quick response from firefighters, an apartment had fairly significant damage and left a family of 11, including three small children, with no place to live Tuesday night.

The St. George Fire Department reported it was called to a fire on Skysail Avenue just after 9:30 p.m.

Eldon Ledoux with SGFD said crews were able to get the fire under control in less than 30 minutes. He added family members told firefighters the fire started in a clothes drier.

Officials said the smoke detectors in the home worked fine and alerted the four generations of family members to get out. No injuries were reported.

According to Ledoux, the apartment had serious damage due to the fire. The Red Cross responded to help the family find a place to stay, along with assisting in replacing medication and medical equipment that was lost.

Copyright 2015 WAFB. All rights reserved.

Powered by Frankly