Officials report fire starts after man leaves to take a shower w - WAFB 9 News Baton Rouge, Louisiana News, Weather, Sports

Officials report fire starts after man leaves to take a shower while food cooking on stove

Source: Baton Rouge Fire Department Source: Baton Rouge Fire Department
BATON ROUGE, LA (WAFB) -

An unattended stove is believed to be the cause of an accidental fire that damaged one unit of a four-plex Tuesday night.

The Baton Rouge Fire Department reported it happened on La Margie Avenue just before 9 p.m.

Mark Miles with BRFD said fire was shooting out of the front of the four-plex when crews arrived on the scene.

He added they were able to get the fire under control in about 15 minutes and contained the flames to the one unit.

According to reports, the man renting the unit told firefighters he went to take a shower while food was cooking on the stove and smelled smoke when he got out of the shower.

Authorities said the man was treated by EMS for smoke inhalation, but refused to be taken to the hospital.

They added the fire caused extensive damage to the unit where it started, while another had smoke and water damage.

The Red Cross is assisting the people who were displaced due to the fire.

Copyright 2015 WAFB. All rights reserved.

Powered by Frankly