Child playing near space heater accidentally starts house fire - WAFB 9 News Baton Rouge, Louisiana News, Weather, Sports

Child playing near space heater accidentally starts house fire

BATON ROUGE, LA (WAFB) -

Firefighters say that a child accidentally sparked a 1-alarm house fire in Baton Rouge.

Investigators report that a child accidentally caught paper on fire while playing next to a space heater at a house on Lobelia Avenue. Officials say that the fire spread through the bedroom and kitchen of the home.

The Baton Rouge Fire Department reports that they were able to get the fire under control in about 15 minutes after arriving at the scene.

The child and another resident in the house were able to escape uninjured. Red Cross was at the scene to assist the family.

The damage from the fire was estimated to cost about $25,000 dollars.

The Baton Rouge Fire Department advises that Space heaters should always be placed three feet away from anything that will burn, and should never be in a room where children and pets are playing.

Copyright WAFB 2015. All Rights Reserved.

Powered by Frankly