Save Redemptorist Group still fighting, Diocese not budging - WAFB 9 News Baton Rouge, Louisiana News, Weather, Sports

Save Redemptorist Group still fighting, Diocese not budging

The standing room only crowd discussing options to keep redemptorist open (Source: Elizabeth Vowell/WAFB) The standing room only crowd discussing options to keep redemptorist open (Source: Elizabeth Vowell/WAFB)
BATON ROUGE, LA (WAFB) -

The Save Redemptorist High School Committee along with supporters of the Catholic school had to meet in a Baptist Sunday school room to discuss their dwindling options for keeping Redemptorist open. The group says they weren't allowed to meet on the Redemptorist property.

"It's just a deal that we can't use our own school the school that you paid tuition for. The school that your money goes into," committee member Sid Edwards told the crowd that gathered.

Since the Diocese of Baton Rouge announced in December it would close the high school due to financial and enrollment issues, the Committee has worked tirelessly to appeal the decision, making several proposals and even reaching out to the Vatican for help. Their latest inquiries into leasing or buying the Redemptorist property has been met with silence so far.

"I would say there is information out there to lead us to believe that the Diocese was working on an alternative, maybe or possible a charter school option at this point," said committee member Julie Roussel.

The group also acknowledges that some options, like starting a new school on new property or legal action against the Diocese, are out.

Meanwhile, frustration with the Catholic leadership is growing into discontent.

"I am ashamed to call myself to call myself a Catholic right now for the Diocese of Baton Rouge because they're just not cooperating, they don't want to talk to us. It's sad. It's real sad," said Redemptorist Alumni Theresa Godso.

While the committee did advise parents of Redemptorist students to prepare for other outcomes, Godso says they aren't done fighting.

"I'm ready to picket. Look out Bishop, here we come," said Godso.

In a phone call, a spokesperson for the Diocese said it stands by the decision to close the school, and that the original plan presented by the Save Redemptorist Committee did not meet the criteria required of all schools under the Diocese. There was no comment on future use of the Redemptorist property, only that the Diocese is focusing on helping students and staff through the closing process.

Copyright 2015 WAFB. All rights reserved.


  • Trending StoriesTrending StoriesMore>>

  • Man admits slaying wife, blames her for daughters' deaths

    Man admits slaying wife, blames her for daughters' deaths

    Tuesday, August 21 2018 12:15 AM EDT2018-08-21 04:15:23 GMT
    Tuesday, August 21 2018 9:41 AM EDT2018-08-21 13:41:49 GMT
    Christopher Watts, 33, faces three first-degree murder charges, two counts of murdering a child under 12, one count of unlawful termination of a pregnancy and three counts of tampering with a deceased human body. (Source: Weld County Sheriff/KMGH/CNN)Christopher Watts, 33, faces three first-degree murder charges, two counts of murdering a child under 12, one count of unlawful termination of a pregnancy and three counts of tampering with a deceased human body. (Source: Weld County Sheriff/KMGH/CNN)

    The father of two told police in court papers released Monday that he killed his pregnant wife after witnessing her strangling one of the girls on a baby monitor.

    More >>

    The father of two told police in court papers released Monday that he killed his pregnant wife after witnessing her strangling one of the girls on a baby monitor.

    More >>
  • US deports former Nazi camp guard, 95, to Germany

    US deports former Nazi camp guard, 95, to Germany

    Tuesday, August 21 2018 4:18 AM EDT2018-08-21 08:18:16 GMT
    Tuesday, August 21 2018 9:39 AM EDT2018-08-21 13:39:12 GMT
    The deportation of the 95-year-old former concentration camp guard, Jakiw Palij, came 25 years after investigators first confronted him about his World War II past and he admitted lying to get into the U.S. (Source: Department of Justice)The deportation of the 95-year-old former concentration camp guard, Jakiw Palij, came 25 years after investigators first confronted him about his World War II past and he admitted lying to get into the U.S. (Source: Department of Justice)

    The White House says a 95-year-old former Nazi concentration camp guard has been deported to Germany, 14 years after a judge ordered him deported.

    More >>

    The White House says a 95-year-old former Nazi concentration camp guard has been deported to Germany, 14 years after a judge ordered him deported.

    More >>
  • 3-year-old found dead in dryer, father says

    3-year-old found dead in dryer, father says

    Tuesday, August 21 2018 7:16 AM EDT2018-08-21 11:16:10 GMT

    Authorities have yet to determine a cause of death for a boy found dead at a townhouse. The boy's father said after a rough night, he found the boy dead in the dryer.

    More >>

    Authorities have yet to determine a cause of death for a boy found dead at a townhouse. The boy's father said after a rough night, he found the boy dead in the dryer.

    More >>
Powered by Frankly