Homeowner says faulty fireplace sent flames into attic of house - WAFB 9 News Baton Rouge, Louisiana News, Weather, Sports

Homeowner says faulty fireplace sent flames into attic of house family had been in only a month

Source: Brandon Shackelford/WAFB Source: Brandon Shackelford/WAFB
BATON ROUGE, LA (WAFB) -

A family that has only been in a home for about a month is cleaning up after a problem with the fireplace caused flames to spread to the attic early Wednesday morning.

The Baton Rouge Fire Department reported the fire started at a house on America Street around 4:45 a.m. Officials said four people were inside at the time and all made it out safely.

Mark Miles with BRFD said the homeowner told investigators he lit the fireplace Tuesday night, but was unaware there was a problem with it.

According to Miles, the fire spread through the attic through the night and flames were shooting out the roof when firefighters arrived on the scene.

Miles added firemen were able to quickly put out the fire, but the house had heavy smoke and fire damage.

Copyright 2015 WAFB. All rights reserved.

Powered by Frankly