BATON ROUGE, LA (WAFB) - Authorities said a pot left on the stove caused a fire that left one man dead and destroyed a home late Tuesday night.
Family members identified the victim as Vernon Mack, 58, of Baton Rouge. Investigators said he died of smoke inhalation.
"He was a good guy, he was a joker, he was a hard worker, he was God fearing," said Dominco Mack, Vernon Mack's nephew. "Everybody in the community loved him. Everybody in the community is going to miss him."
The Baton Rouge Fire Department reported the fire happened on Stearns Street. Fire officials said they received the call about it at 11:40 p.m.
Curt Monte with BRFD said firefighters reported the back part of the home was on fire when they arrived on the scene. He added firefighters found the victim inside and carried him out, but they and EMS workers were not able to resuscitate him. He was pronounced dead at the scene.
According to Monte, firemen were able to quickly get the flames under control and prevented the fire from spreading. However, much of the home was reduced to charred rubble by the time the flames were put out.