New Year's Eve celebration in downtown Baton Rouge packs hotels - WAFB 9 News Baton Rouge, Louisiana News, Weather, Sports

New Year's Eve celebration in downtown Baton Rouge packs hotels

Source: WAFB Source: WAFB
BATON ROUGE, LA (WAFB) -

The crowd that gathered in Town Center for New Year's Eve may have been seeing red, but it was all about the green a few blocks away.

"It's made a huge, huge change for our inner city and our downtown and again, that's money coming into our city, investing in our city," said Davis Rhorer, director of the Downtown Development District.

With more rooms than ever available downtown, hotel lobbies were packed with customers from all over visiting Baton Rouge to ring in 2015.

"It just creates some energy downtown," said Barry Gambold, general manager of Hotel Indigo.

It is one of those hotels seeing a boost in business thanks to the Red Stick Revelry. The manager also said the hotel's 93 rooms were booked solid and the hotel made nearly $20,000 on New Year's Eve alone.

"Obviously, the economy last year was great and it was an awesome year for us. We kind of see that we've hit that plateau and we're going to have a good year in 2015," Gambold added.

Hotels aren't the only ones expecting a good year. Rhorer said 2015 will see the renaissance of downtown Baton Rouge continue.

"A lot of exciting things," Rhorer said.

Copyright 2014 WAFB. All rights reserved.

  • Local/State NewsMore>>

  • Advocacy organization calls for EBR School Board member to resign

    Advocacy organization calls for EBR School Board member to resign

    A Louisiana based organization is calling for the resignation of East Baton Rouge Parish School Board member, Connie Bernard, following the surfacing of a video in which Bernard can be seen engaging in an argument and physical dispute at a neighbor's residence.  Bernard was issued a summons by deputies after causing a disturbance at a neighbor's home where she was captured on video grabbing a young man by the neck and screaming profane language. RELATED: http://www.wa...

    More >>

    A Louisiana based organization is calling for the resignation of East Baton Rouge Parish School Board member, Connie Bernard, following the surfacing of a video in which Bernard can be seen engaging in an argument and physical dispute at a neighbor's residence.  Bernard was issued a summons by deputies after causing a disturbance at a neighbor's home where she was captured on video grabbing a young man by the neck and screaming profane language. RELATED: http://www.wa...

    More >>
  • Educators organize to encourage ExxonMobil CEO to withdraw tax break requests

    Educators organize to encourage ExxonMobil CEO to withdraw tax break requests

    Several groups advocating for the interests of educators and "Together Baton Rouge" gathered outside of a School Board meeting Thursday to publicly request a meeting with the CEO of ExxonMobil, hopeful they'd be able to persuade him to withdraw a request that would exempt Exxon from paying school property taxes on more than 150 million dollars of the company's property.  

    More >>

    Several groups advocating for the interests of educators and "Together Baton Rouge" gathered outside of a School Board meeting Thursday to publicly request a meeting with the CEO of ExxonMobil, hopeful they'd be able to persuade him to withdraw a request that would exempt Exxon from paying school property taxes on more than 150 million dollars of the company's property.  

    More >>
  • LDH downplays reports of measles outbreak; calls it a ‘misinterpretation of language’

    LDH downplays reports of measles outbreak; calls it a ‘misinterpretation of language’

    Source: CDCSource: CDC

    The Louisiana Department of Health (LDH) says there is no measles outbreak in the United States, nor in Louisiana. This week it was reported that 2018 is on pace to be the worst year for measles since 2014 when there were 667 reported cases. According to the latest report from the Center for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), there have been 107 people from 21 states diagnosed with measles from January 1 to July 14, 2018. Louisiana is among those states where at least one case ha...

    More >>

    The Louisiana Department of Health (LDH) says there is no measles outbreak in the United States, nor in Louisiana. This week it was reported that 2018 is on pace to be the worst year for measles since 2014 when there were 667 reported cases. According to the latest report from the Center for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), there have been 107 people from 21 states diagnosed with measles from January 1 to July 14, 2018. Louisiana is among those states where at least one case ha...

    More >>
Powered by Frankly