BATON ROUGE, LA (WAFB) - Firefighters said three kids safely escaped a fast-moving fire in their home Wednesday afternoon.
The Baton Rouge Fire Department reported it happened at a house on Tampa Drive in the Villa Del Rey subdivision around 12:15 p.m.
Investigators said the oldest child was cleaning the kitchen, which is where the fire started, and may have left a towel on the stove.
They added the flames quickly spread from the kitchen to the living room area.
Mark Miles with BRFD said firefighters were able to get the fire under control in about 15 minutes to prevent the home from being destroyed.
Despite those efforts, he added the home was left with heavy fire and smoke damage.