MARRERO, LA (WAFB) - A Monday night fire leaves one dead after the victim told his wife to leave the house so he could battle the flames.
The State Fire Marshall says the fire happened just after 8:00 p.m. in the 1200 block of Lincoln Avenue in Marrero.
The body of 80-year-old Edward Wicker was found after firefighters brought the blaze under control. The investigation is ongoing, but according to the victim's wife, she alerted her husband about flames coming from a clothes dryer. She left the area after Wicker told her to move the car away from the house.
Officials say that it appears as though Wicker attempted to fight the fire with a portable fire extinguisher. No cause of death has been named and an autopsy is pending.
The State Fire Marshall urges families to be sure that they have at least one working fire extinguisher. However, when facing bigger fires, it is best to leave immediately. "Things can be replaced, but people can't," said Fire Marshall "Butch" Browning. "If a fire is bigger than a frying pan, just get out of the house."