Light malfunction causes Christmas tree to catch fire - WAFB 9 News Baton Rouge, Louisiana News, Weather, Sports

Light malfunction causes Christmas tree to catch fire

Christmas Tree fire (Source: WAFB) Christmas Tree fire (Source: WAFB)
BATON ROUGE, LA (WAFB) -

Officials with the Baton Rouge Fire Department say an electrical malfunction with lights on a Christmas tree is to blame for a fire that sparked Monday evening in the 1200 block of Carolyn Sue in Baton Rouge.

Firefighters arrived on the scene to find the Christmas tree burning.

The owner of the house said that one of the kids plugged in the lights for the tree and another child noticed something sparking. They unplugged the lights and the babysitter for the children gathered everyone and got out safely.

Firefighters were able to extinguish the fire within 15 minutes and contain it to the living room of the house.

The house received heavy smoke damage, and little fire and water damage.

Baton Rouge Police, Entergy and Red Cross were called to the scene.

Copyright WAFB 2014. All Rights Reserved.

Powered by Frankly