EBR School Board removes discussion of extending supt.'s contrac - WAFB 9 News Baton Rouge, Louisiana News, Weather, Sports

EBR School Board removes discussion of extending supt.'s contract from agenda

Supt. Dr. Bernard Taylor (Source: WAFB) Supt. Dr. Bernard Taylor (Source: WAFB)
BATON ROUGE, LA (WAFB) -

Any new discussion related to the contract of the superintendent of East Baton Rouge Parish Schools was over before it began Thursday evening.

Back in June, the board voted 10-1 not to give Supt. Dr. Bernard Taylor an extension. Then, just earlier this week, outgoing board member Mary Lynch reopened the conversation.

Lynch put the item on Thursday night's agenda. However, she surprised fellow board members with an announcement at the start of the meeting.

"At the request of Dr. Taylor, I would like to pull item number 21 from the agenda," Lynch told the board.

The new development meant there would be no talk of a contract extension. The board then voted, upholding the motion.

Board member Evelyn Ware-Jackson said it was the wrong timing ahead of an incoming board.

"It's something that should be addressed by a board that is actually going to be living through it," Jackson said.

However, Lynch said she disagrees and stands by previous comments that the district is prospering under Taylor. She said she was caught off guard when the superintendent called her asking for a last minute change.

"I was on my way to the board meeting tonight and the phone call just came asking me to pull the agenda item with no discussion. He's our leader and that's what you do as a follower," Lynch added.

Taylor, however, didn't wish to speak publicly about that conversation.

He said in June he supported the board's decision not to renew his contract. He appeared to stand by those comments.

"I think that what happened is other people's mind have changed," Taylor said. "And, the future can be bright."

Taylor's contract expires in June.

Copyright 2014 WAFB. All rights reserved.

  • Trending StoriesTrending StoriesMore>>

  • GRAPHIC VIDEO: Teens mock drowning man

    GRAPHIC VIDEO: Teens mock drowning man

    Thursday, July 20 2017 9:14 PM EDT2017-07-21 01:14:47 GMT
    Thursday, July 20 2017 9:39 PM EDT2017-07-21 01:39:28 GMT

    Police say no laws were violated by five teens who made a video of a drowning man and posted it to social media. 

    More >>

    Police say no laws were violated by five teens who made a video of a drowning man and posted it to social media. 

    More >>
Powered by Frankly