BATON ROUGE, LA (WAFB) - Fire investigators blamed a problem with the chimney for a fire that caused more than $100,000 in damage to an apartment complex Tuesday night.
The Baton Rouge Fire Department reported the fire happened in the 11000 block of Sherwood Valley Court. Mark Miles with BRFD said firefighters received the first call about it just before 8 p.m. No one was injured in the fire.
Officials said the first crew to arrive on the scene reported flames were shooting from the roof of one of the units in a four-plex. They said it took less than 10 minutes to get under control. According to investigators, the fire started in the attic due to a faulty chimney.
It doesn't take much of a drop in temperature for it to be considered "cold" by many in south Louisiana and for some, lighting the fireplace is a great way to warm up. However, those with a fireplace are urged to have it checked before lighting it.
Miles said the two people renting the unit lit the fireplace and because of a "chimney plumbing condition," the apartment caught fire. He added the flames were kept from spreading beyond the unit where the fire started. It also had smoke and water damage.
He said the other units did not have much damage.