Firefighters respond to blaze on Plank Road - WAFB 9 News Baton Rouge, Louisiana News, Weather, Sports

Firefighters respond to blaze on Plank Road

Source: Baton Rouge Fire Department Source: Baton Rouge Fire Department
BATON ROUGE, LA (WAFB) -

It took Baton Rouge Firefighters about 90 minutes to put out a fire that started just before 8 a.m. Monday morning.

Firefighters said it started at a multi-family dwelling on Plank Road at Pawnee Street. When they arrived, flames were coming from the roof of the building.

Residents were able to escape unharmed down a back stairwell.

Firefighters report high winds quickly increased the intensity of the fire. 

"Wind tends to increase the intensity of the fire. Obviously, fire needs oxygen. The wind is going to increase the oxygen getting to the fire, which makes it extremely difficult to extinguish," said Curt Monte with the Baton Rouge Fire Department.

When they went into the structure to put out the fire, the roof began to collapse and the firefighters had to retreat.

"The fire was in the attic by the time firefighters arrived," said Monte. "The roof was compromised when they got there, so they were unable to fight the fire inside."

The building is considered a total loss and Red Cross was called to assist the residents. Officials report the owner of the building did not have any insurance.

Officials say the fire was caused by an overloaded power cord. 

Copyright 2014 WAFB. All rights reserved.

Powered by Frankly