Prosecution rests its case in alleged murder-for-hire trial - WAFB 9 News Baton Rouge, Louisiana News, Weather, Sports

Prosecution rests its case in alleged murder-for-hire trial

Monique Kitts (Source: Kiran Chawla/WAFB) Monique Kitts (Source: Kiran Chawla/WAFB)
Karl Howard (Source: WAFB) Karl Howard (Source: WAFB)
PORT ALLEN, LA (WAFB) -

The prosecution has rested its case after 19 witnesses and a week and half of testimony in the alleged murder for hire trial in West Baton Rouge Parish.

Now its the defense's turn.

Monique Kitts is accused of hiring Karl Howard to kill her husband in 2010. They are both on trial for second-degree murder and conspiracy to commit second-degree murder.

Proceedings were canceled Tuesday due to the election.

The prosecution called its final witness around 10:15 a.m. 

In Monday's testimony, prosecutors said there were 7,900 calls made between Kitts and Howard after the murder, which an average of 88 calls a day.

Kitts is accused of hiring Howard to kill her husband, Corey Kitts, for more than $500,000 of an insurance policy. Corey Kitts was found dead inside his home in Addis in July 2010. Investigators said he had been shot three times at point-blank range.

The prosecution's star witness, Corey Knox, was the alleged getaway driver after the murder. It is unknown whether Kitts or Howard will be called to the stand.

Copyright 2014 WAFB. All rights reserved.

Powered by Frankly