Investigators believe overloaded power strips were factor in dea - WAFB 9 News Baton Rouge, Louisiana News, Weather, Sports

Investigators believe overloaded power strips were factor in deadly fire

Investigators are still trying to determine the exact cause of the fire. (Source: WAFB) Investigators are still trying to determine the exact cause of the fire. (Source: WAFB)
  • Links Mentioned on WAFBMore>>

  • Officials: Son tried to save parents in fatal house fire

    Officials: Son tried to save parents in fatal house fire

    Friday, October 3 2014 1:42 PM EDT2014-10-03 17:42:36 GMT
    Friday, October 3 2014 7:20 PM EDT2014-10-03 23:20:45 GMT
    An elderly couple died when their home in Valley Park caught fire on Friday afternoon. Their daughter, Regina Mitchell, said she had just left their home on 2712 Balis Dr. after picking up two children.More >>
    An elderly couple died when their home in Valley Park caught fire on Friday afternoon. Their daughter, Regina Mitchell, said she had just left their home on 2712 Balis Dr. after picking up two children.More >>
BATON ROUGE, LA (WAFB) -

Investigators said they have not yet discovered the exact cause of a fire that killed an elderly couple on Friday, but believe overloaded power strips were a factor.

Ezekiel Jackson, 70, who was bedridden, and his wife, Gloria Jackson, 64, of Baton Rouge, died in the fire. East Baton Parish coroner Dr. William "Beau" Clark said their deaths were ruled accidental because they died from carbon monoxide poisoning.

The Baton Rouge Fire Department is still investigating.

"Near the origin of the fire, investigators found two power strips that were overloaded," said Curt Monte with BRFD. "We believe that was a factor in the fire. Although investigators cannot definitely say that was the cause, we do believe the overloaded surge protectors were a factor in the fire."

Investigators said the home on Balis Drive caught fire shortly after noon. The victims' daughter, Regina Mitchell, said she had just left their home after picking up two children. Firefighters reported they believe the fire started in the kitchen.

Copyright 2014 WAFB. All rights reserved.

Powered by Frankly