BATON ROUGE, LA (WAFB) - Officials with the St. George Fire Department report three minor injuries in an apartment fire that ignited Sunday evening. The two-alarm fire started just after 7:30 p.m. at the Jeffersonian Apartments on Jefferson Highway.
When fire fighters arrived, they found fire blowing through the upstairs units of the rear building. Just before 8 p.m., they called for backup. Total, there were six engines, one ladder truck and a heavy rescue responded.
Two residents were evaluated for smoke inhalation and a fire fighter suffered heat-related symptoms, but no one was taken to the hospital.
An investigator is on the scene and Red Cross has been called to assist the residents affected by the fire.
Officials say multiple units suffered fire and extensive smoke damage.
Neighbors say they were shocked when fire fighters knocked on their doors.
"It was very scary because there's a couple and a child that lives there and they weren't sure they were in there or not," said resident Mytosha Molden. "So it's very scary to see that."