WEST JORDAN, UT (KSTU/CNN) – A Utah girl is being called a hero for helping to save her young brother's life.
“I think my brother [is] choking and I'm alone. I just sent my brother to go get my mom,” Shaylee Pederson said to a 911 dispatcher.
Shaylee has babysat her brothers plenty of times, but when 2-year-old Jayden started coughing and breathing heavily after choking on his dinner, she knew something was wrong.
“I was sort of just thinking I need to remain calm, I need to make sure that he doesn't die and all that sort of stuff,” Shaylee said.
Putting what she had learned into practice, she sent her brother Matthew to get their mom, then called 911.
Jayden's lips had turned purple as he struggled to breathe and when paramedics arrived, they all praised Shaylee for doing everything right to keep the food lodged in Jayden's throat from shifting.
“If she hasn't have acted the way she did, it might have gotten worse. We might not have had him anymore,” mother Kristy Pederson said.
“I`m kind of happy with myself and I`m also kind of afraid that it might happen again while I`m babysitting,” Shaylee said.
Copyright 2014 KSTU via CNN. All rights reserved.