Family homeless after overturned lamp caused house fire - WAFB 9 News Baton Rouge, Louisiana News, Weather, Sports

Family homeless after overturned lamp caused house fire

The interior of parts of the home was completely charred.. (WAFB) The interior of parts of the home was completely charred.. (WAFB)
A spokesperson from the fire department says this incident should be a wake up call to residents about fire safety. (WAFB) A spokesperson from the fire department says this incident should be a wake up call to residents about fire safety. (WAFB)
When firefighters arrived on the scene there was light smoke coming from the rear of the home which intensified as they gained entry.  (WAFB) When firefighters arrived on the scene there was light smoke coming from the rear of the home which intensified as they gained entry. (WAFB)
BATON ROUGE, LA (WAFB) - Baton Rouge firefighters say an overturned lamp was the cause of a house fire that left one family homeless overnight. 

The fire happened late Friday night at a house located at 4565 Beech St. just after 10:00 p.m.

When firefighters arrived on the scene there was light smoke coming from the rear of the home which intensified as they gained entry. They found the fire in a rear bedroom of the home and it was extinguished quickly, the homeowner was able to make it out of the home unharmed. Firefighters say the homeowner, Joyce Franklin, had been in the room earlier and accidentally knocked over a lamp causing the fire.

Franklin said she is visual impaired in one eye. She explained while going to turn the lights back on, she ran into her bed knocking the oil lamp on to it; setting it on fire. 

“I got so hysterical and on was so scared and I was hollering, and I was trying to get out of there as fast as I can,” said Franklin who managed to escape. 

A spokesperson from the fire department says this incident should be a wake up call to residents about fire safety.

"This goes to show any electrical short or any situation like that, you need to take precautionary measures that it doesn't become bad," said spokesperson Mark Miles.

The home received heavy smoke and fire damage The interior of parts of the home was completely charred.. Red Cross was called to the scene to assist. 

Copyright 2014 WAFB. All rights reserved.

Powered by Frankly