BATON ROUGE, LA (WAFB) - Officials with the Baton Rouge Fire Department say an adult jumped from a window of an apartment complex to escape a fire that started just after 1:30 p.m.
Firefighters rescued 13 people from the fire that evacuated a building at Savoy Plaza Apartments, located at 520 Wooddale Boulevard, near Florida Blvd. Three of the 13 who were rescued were children. The building with 72 units is evacuated.
Officials with EMS say the man who jumped from the window to escape the fire is in the hospital in stable condition. He was the only person hospitalized. "He jumped out of the 3rd floor right there, landed on a bush or whatever," said one witness. "They carried him out to the sidewalk. He hurt his back when he jumped, but that was the only way he could've gotten out."
Firefighters say someone left a pot unattended on the stove and that is what set off the blaze. The apartment where the fire started was destroyed, but the entire building was evacuated because of the fire and heavy smoke. One of the tenants described it as walking through a tunnel.
Firefighters had to go back inside the building to get one woman's medicine.
Officials say several residents were trapped on the second and third floors of the building.
Mayor Kip Holden showed up to meet with some of the tenants and to help emergency personnel pass out water and other necessities. In total, 68 families were displaced by the fire.
Red Cross was called to help find shelter for the displaced families.