Sanity hearing underway for teen accused of killing mother

Eddie Island III (Source: Walker Police Department)
Eddie Island III (Source: Walker Police Department)

WALKER, LA (WAFB) - A 17-year-old charged with the murder of his mother is set to go before a judge Thursday to determine if he is competent to stand trial.

Edward R. Island, III pleaded not guilty to the December 2013 murder of his mother Tamila Wooley. She was found about two days after her death, on New Year's Day, in her home. She had been shot multiple times.

Two other minor children of the victim, an 11 year old boy and a 2-year-old girl were found unharmed inside the residence.

According to Capt. John Sharp of the Walker Police Department, Wooley, 34, was found dead by a family acquaintance at the Village Mason Townhomes on Village Drive in Walker.

Village Mason Townhomes is a gated community that is monitored by surveillance cameras at the entrance.

During the investigation, officers learned that Wooley's black Lexus sedan was missing and so was her 17-year-old son Eddie Robert Island.

Around 2 a.m. on January 2, 2013, Walker Police and the Livingston Parish Sheriff's Deputies located the Lexus, driven by Island, north of Walker.

"During questioning, Mr. Island confessed to shooting his mother late the night of Sunday, December 29th, or early in the morning Monday, December 30th. After obtaining a confession from Mr. Island, he was transported to the Livingston Parish Detention Center and charged with second degree murder," said Captain John Sharp with the Walker Police Department.

Police believe that over the two day period between the murder and discovery of the body, Island returned to the home to check on the minor children and attend to their needs.

"Mr. Island explained to us that he returned to the residence several times after the shooting to feed the children, who we understand to be his half-brother and half-sister, telling the children that their mother was ill and not to be disturbed," said Captain Sharp.

Island is being held without bond in the Livingston Parish Jail.

Copyright 2014 WAFB. All rights reserved.