BRFD: House fire caused by child playing with candle - WAFB 9 News Baton Rouge, Louisiana News, Weather, Sports

BRFD: House fire caused by child playing with candle

Posted: Updated:
Source: Baton Rouge Fire Department Source: Baton Rouge Fire Department
BATON ROUGE, LA (WAFB) -

Investigators say a child playing with a candle was the cause of a fire that displaced a family of four.

"Firefighters arriving on scene found fire coming from the living room and kitchen of the home," Mark Miles, Baton Rouge Fire Department, said. "The fire had also extended into the attic above these two areas."

The fire started shortly after 8 a.m. in the 1500 block of Goudchaux St. Officials say three people were inside the home when the fire started. Fortunately, everyone escaped unharmed.

The blaze caused an estimated total of $50,000 in damages. The Red Cross was called out to assist the family.

"The minor child will be counseled and placed in the Baton Rouge Fire Department's Juvenile Fire Setter Program," Miles noted. "The Baton Rouge Fire Department recommends that all parents and guardians talk to their kids about the dangers of fire."

If you would like to learn more about fire safety in the home, call the Fire Prevention Division at (225) 354-1431. 

Copyright 2014 WAFB. All rights reserved.

Powered by WorldNow