Small electrical fire leads to school evacuation

BATON ROUGE, LA (WAFB) - Officials said an elementary school was evacuated after a small electrical fire Wednesday morning.

The St. George Fire Department reported it was called out to Shenandoah Elementary shortly after 9 a.m. due to reports of smoke in one of the school's buildings.

Eldon Ledoux, spokesman for SGFD, said firefighters found a smoldering ceiling tile and quickly put it out. It was determined an electrical problem caused the fire.

He added the school had been evacuated by the staff and all students were accounted for at all times. No injuries were reported.

According to Ledoux, maintenance workers fixed the problem and classes were allowed to resume around 10:15 a.m.

Copyright 2014 WAFB. All rights reserved.