BRPD: Stun gun used twice on suspect accused of battery

George Bryan Achee (Source: EBRSO)
George Bryan Achee (Source: EBRSO)

BATON ROUGE, LA (WAFB) - Police used a stun gun on a 37-year-old man twice after he allegedly resisted arrest for an incident that happened at a Baton Rouge hotel.

According to the probable cause report, officers with the Baton Rouge Police Department were called to a hotel on Constitution Ave. in reference to a woman who was seriously injured.

"Upon arrival, I made contact with the victim and observed numerous contusions to her face, arms and neck area with heavy swelling to the victim's jaw," the officer noted in the report. "The victim advised that she did not remember being struck."

A witness told the officer that he was staying in the room across from the one where the victim was staying. He told the officer that he heard "loud screaming coming from room 420." Officers went to the room to investigate.

George Bryan Achee was located inside the hotel room. The officer claims that he instructed Achee to "get on the floor with arms and hands spread out," but he refused to comply.

"[I] observed the defendant to be highly intoxicated, with red glassy eyes, slurred speech and a strong odor of an alcoholic beverage emitting from his person," the officer noted. "[I] also observed the closet doors on the floor, having been ripped from the hinges."

According to the arresting officer, Achee refused to comply during his arrest. Eventually, the officer claims he was forced to deploy his stun gun. Achee was struck, but the officer claims he continued to resist.

"Subsequent deployments of the taster finally were able to gain compliance from the defendant," the officer noted. "Once outside and about to be placed into [the police vehicle] the defendant stood up by the car door, turned and lunged head first into the mid-section of [an officer], causing both to stumble to the concrete drive."

Achee reportedly hit his head on the concrete and was transported to a local hospital for evaluation and treatment. After his release, he was booked into the East Baton Rouge Parish Prison for second-degree battery, battery of a police officer, disturbing the peace, damage to property and resisting an officer. He is being held in lieu of a $12,500 bond.