3 roads in Denham Springs to be smoothed out - WAFB 9 News Baton Rouge, Louisiana News, Weather, Sports

3 roads in Denham Springs to be smoothed out

DENHAM SPRINGS, LA (WAFB) -

There are three roads in Denham Springs that will need to be smoothed out in the next several years. Bass Pro Boulevard and Julia Street are projects Mayor Jimmy Durbin is planning to put on the books for the next mayor of the city.  He says with all the traffic, those roads will eventually show signs of stress.

One road can wait no longer though.

"It's a nice road," said Chris Avant, standing alongside River Road.  Avant says the views driving down the road are simply beautiful, but the road itself isn't showcasing well.  "Those one, two, three little potholes may get more from excess traffic."

Avant has lived in the area for the past 30 years.  He says people in the area consider River Road a neighborhood street, but the last few years it has become a detour for drivers when Range Avenue backs up.

"In mornings, people travel down River Road to take Florida into Baton Rouge," Avant said.

It's what Mayor Durbin now refers to as a semi-major road, because of all the extra traffic.  Traffic that a road built in the 90's wasn't built to handle.

"It's very, very narrow.  The edges are breaking off," Durbin said.

Three years ago, Durbin says, a study counted 8,000 cars using the road every day.  That number continues to go up.  While growth is usually a good thing, in this case, it's meant deteriorating roads that can only be patched so much.

"I expect R.J. Daigle to soon be moving equipment into this area probably sometime the first week of April," Durbin said.  R.J. Daigle came in with the lowest bid for the job.

Plans call for River Road, between Government and Centerville, to be widened and repaved.  Durbin says the Department of Transportation and Development, or DOTD, will pay 80 percent of the cost.  The city will be responsible for about $160,000, or the remaining 20 percent.

The project is expected to take 60 days.

While some say that will be a welcome improvement, Avant says there's also another section the city needs to add to its to do list.

"It's the other end, the north side that's really broken up," he said.

Durbin says the north end of River Road should be redone in 2017-2018.  That part of the project will fall under the next mayor.

Copyright 2014 WAFB. All rights reserved.

  • Trending StoriesTrending StoriesMore>>

  • 'The Phantom' serial killer of children out of prison, living in Tucson

    'The Phantom' serial killer of children out of prison, living in Tucson

    Thursday, April 27 2017 12:17 AM EDT2017-04-27 04:17:43 GMT
    Friday, April 28 2017 11:32 PM EDT2017-04-29 03:32:02 GMT
    Convicted killer William Huff was spotted riding his bicycle through a Tucson neighborhood. (Source: 3TV/CBS 5)Convicted killer William Huff was spotted riding his bicycle through a Tucson neighborhood. (Source: 3TV/CBS 5)

    William Huff terrorized Sierra Vista during the spring and summer of 1967. Despite a sentence of 40 years to life, the Arizona Board of Executive Clemency voted to release him from prison into home arrest. Family members of the victims are concerned for the safety of the community, as are new members of the Clemency Board. CBS 5 Investigates videotaped Huff riding a bike through his Tucson neighborhood. There are no restrictions placed on his proximity to children.

    More >>

    William Huff terrorized Sierra Vista during the spring and summer of 1967. Despite a sentence of 40 years to life, the Arizona Board of Executive Clemency voted to release him from prison into home arrest. Family members of the victims are concerned for the safety of the community, as are new members of the Clemency Board. CBS 5 Investigates videotaped Huff riding a bike through his Tucson neighborhood. There are no restrictions placed on his proximity to children. 

    More >>
  • Severe reaction to new sandals leads woman on a painful path

    Severe reaction to new sandals leads woman on a painful path

        One woman wants to warn people about her painful path, the result of a severe and debilitating allergic reaction.  She had no idea what she was allergic to until she visited a fourth emergency room in two weeks.    

    More >>

    One woman wants to warn people about her painful path, the result of a severe and debilitating allergic reaction. She had no idea what she was allergic to until she visited a fourth emergency room in two weeks.    

    More >>
  • BREAKING

    Officials: 5 dead during weekend storms, casualties may increase

    Officials: 5 dead during weekend storms, casualties may increase

    Sunday, April 30 2017 12:31 AM EDT2017-04-30 04:31:34 GMT

    Severe thunderstorm warnings were issued Saturday for multiple East Texas counties.

    More >>

    Severe thunderstorm warnings were issued Saturday for multiple East Texas counties.

    More >>
Powered by Frankly