String of fires in BR has officials urging caution

BATON ROUGE, LA (WAFB) - Baton Rouge fire officials say a morning fire on Colorado Street Sunday was one of five in the city since Thursday.

"People cooking in their homes, not being careful that's the number one cause of fire," said Baton Rouge Fire Department Public Information Officer Curt Monte.

Monte adds that an overnight fire on Longfellow Drive began with a pot left alone on a hot stove. He says the four people living inside escaped without injury and firefighters later pulled a dog from the home when they arrived. Red Cross is now assisting the family which did not have homeowner's insurance.

"The complacency is it will never happen to me and with technology and things today people on the phone using cell phone sometimes they forget what they have in the oven or on top of the stove," said Monte.

The Sunday fires followed an accidental blaze at Stampley's Auto Shop on Scenic Highway Saturday when a worker was burned when the cutting torch he was using ignited a nearby gas can. Monte says whether it's at work or at home cooking, the first priority must always be safety.

"Couple of them were unattended cooking others were simply just accidents which they do happen but people just need to be aware of their surroundings and make sure they protect themselves," said Monte.

Monte also warns with the warmer months approaching, people should also use caution when cooking outdoors avoiding using grills near awnings and low hanging branches and trees.

Copyright 2014 WAFB. All rights reserved.