BATON ROUGE, LA (WAFB) - An overloaded extension cord is to blame for a fire that destroyed a home, damaged two others, and claimed the lives of two dogs.
"The high wind was a factor in the fire," Curt Monte, Baton Rouge Fire Department, explained. "That's what helped intensify the fire, causing damage to the two other homes."
When firefighters arrived in the 1500 block of N. 36th Street at roughly 1:20 p.m. on Friday, March 21, they found the home completely engulfed in flames. Once they were able to contain the flames, they were advised that two dogs were trapped inside. They managed to remove one dog from the home.
"The dog was turned over to animal control," Monte explained. "They will have to euthanize her due to injuries."
Investigators eventually located the second dog. It perished in the fire. The owners of the dogs were not home when the blaze started.
"Foul play is not suspected," Monte said. "In all, five people are displaced. The two adjacent homes were damaged enough that they had to pull the power. They will not be able to return to the home until an electrician has time to inspect them."