Unattended food starts kitchen fire, destroys apartment units - WAFB 9 News Baton Rouge, Louisiana News, Weather, Sports

Unattended food starts kitchen fire, destroys apartment units

Posted: Updated:
COVINGTON, TN -

(WMC-TV) - Saturday afternoon, smoke could be seen for miles across Covington, Tenn. as part of an apartment went up in flames.

The fire broke out just after 3:00 p.m. at the Covington Village Apartments on old Memphis Road near Mueller Brass Road. Eight units in one building were destroyed during the fire. Luckily, no one was hurt in the blaze.

Fire Chief Jerry Craig says food left cooking on the stove is what started the fire. The Red Cross is assisting families who lost their homes.

Copyright 2014 WMC-TV. All rights reserved.

Powered by WorldNow