I-Team Follow Up: Superintendent meets with mother alleging bull - WAFB 9 News Baton Rouge, Louisiana News, Weather, Sports

I-Team Follow Up: Superintendent meets with mother alleging bullying


Courtney Robins, a mother alleging her son was bullied, was scheduled to meet the executive director over elementary schools Darlene Brister around 10:30 a.m. Friday.  Robins told the I-team when she called Brister to let her know she was running late, Brister told her Superintendent Dr. Bernard Taylor just happened to also be on his way to the school.  

After Robins arrived at Melrose Elementary around 11:40 a.m., she said she met with Brister, the school's assistant principal and Dr. Taylor.  

Around 12:30 p.m., an unmarked sheriff's deputy arrived at the school.

At 1:30 p.m., nearly two hours after they started the meeting, Brister walked out and drove off first.  Then came Dr. Taylor.  WAFB tried to stop him while he was driving off to ask him about the meeting, but he continued to drive off.  Robins came out last.  

"He said just come on out and tell the media that we agreed that we're going to move forward, but I'm thinking he did that.  He didn't speak to you?  He didn't stop and speak to you?  Oh, so no wonder why he kept me in the office while he left first with the police officer out there," said a surprised Robins.

Monday night, the I-team introduced you to Robins and her son.  Robins told the I-team, her child has been bullied for three years at Melrose Elementary going as far as getting urinated on.  The mother said she has called for Dr. Taylor more than 200 times, but he never called back.  Friday, she met him for the first time and said the meeting got off to a rocky start.  

"He apologized somewhat after screaming, not screaming but screeching his voice, kind of getting not so professional you know for a minute," said Robins.

Robins said Dr. Taylor eventually offered to transfer her son with transportation along with his other two siblings who also go to Melrose Elementary, but Robins said after Taylor realized WAFB was outside waiting, things changed.

"He told me to come out and say that we agreed that we would move forward but no one's being held accountable for what's happened in the past," Robins.
"He told you to tell us that?" asked WAFB's Kiran Chawla.
"Yeah, he said come out and tell the media hey, because he was like, the media is out there.  He was more concerned about y'all I guess," said Robins.

The mother has till the end of Friday to decide whether she will accept the school board's offer of transferring all three of her children who go to Melrose Elementary.

Copyright 2014 WAFB. All rights reserved.

Powered by Frankly