10 people escape house fire caused by electrical malfunction - WAFB 9 News Baton Rouge, Louisiana News, Weather, Sports

10 people escape house fire caused by electrical malfunction

Posted: Updated:
BATON ROUGE, LA (WAFB) -

Fire officials said 10 people safely escaped a house fire early Wednesday morning that was caused by an electrical malfunction.

It happened on Lobelia Avenue in Baton Rouge, which is between Chippewa Street and Choctaw Drive.

The Baton Rouge Fire Department reported it received the call about the fire around 3:15 a.m.

Curt Monte with BRFD said crews arrived on the scene to find the back of the home engulfed in flames.

Fortunately, everyone inside had already gotten out.

Firefighters were able to keep the flames from spreading beyond the back portion of the house, but the rest of it still had smoke and water damage.

The Red Cross responded to help the family find a place to stay.

Copyright 2014 WAFB. All rights reserved.

Powered by WorldNow