Apartment fire results in fatality after man cooks meal, sleeps - WAFB 9 News Baton Rouge, Louisiana News, Weather, Sports

Apartment fire results in fatality after man cooks meal, sleeps

Posted: Updated:
BATON ROUGE, LA (WAFB) -

An apartment fire ended in a fatality after a man was found dead, according to the Baton Rouge Fire Department. Officials say the victim may have been cooking himself something to eat and fell asleep.

The victim's name is being withheld until his family is notified. Fire officials arrived on the scene at around 10:38 a.m. at Camelot Apartments located at 1222 Jim Taylor Drive.  

When they arrived, they noticed evidence of a fire at the bottom of the door. Once inside, investigators determined that a fire began at sometime during the night as a result of unattended cooking, but it extinguished itself before they arrived on the scene.

Fire investigators said the victim was found in the living room area, having died from smoke inhalation.

Copyright 2014 WAFB. All rights reserved.

Powered by WorldNow