Mouton charged in connection to third home invasion - WAFB 9 News Baton Rouge, Louisiana News, Weather, Sports

Mouton charged in connection to third home invasion

Posted: Updated:
Vorris Mouton (Source: EBRSO) Vorris Mouton (Source: EBRSO)
BATON ROUGE, LA (WAFB) -

A man charged in two home invasion attacks in Baton Rouge was charged for a third home invasion that happened December 29, 2013 around 3:15 a.m. in the 8800 block of Wartelle Drive.

Detectives believe Mouton broke a window of the home, unlocked and opened the window and went into the home.

The residents, a 53-year-old female and her 76-year-old mother were asleep when they were awakened by the sound of glass breaking.

At that point, the daughter got up to investigate the noise and saw a man wearing a mask in the house.  When the suspect saw her, he grabbed her purse and ran out of the house leaving through the same window in which he came in.  The purse was found near the residence and nothing appeared to have been taken. 

The State Police Crime Lab collected DNA that was left on the broken window and connected Mouton to the home invasion.

"As the investigation into Vorris Mouton continues, new information evolves as was the case in this incident.  Detectives are going back and re-visiting other cases with any similarities to the previous two arrests, as well as the unsolved incidents that occurred in Tara and Webb Park areas.  Since this investigation is ongoing, we are still urging the public to continue to be aware and take all necessary precautions to ensure their personal safety," said officials in a news release Friday afternoon.

Mouton has an attorney and a court date for his next hearing.

Judge Bonnie Jackson appointed a public defender for Vorris Mouton, 35, of New Iberia, Thursday morning and moved his bond hearing to Feb. 10, 2014. Mouton's initial bond was set at $40,000.

He faces charges in connection with a home invasion last week and now two in December. Prosecutors said with the charges and continued investigation, his bond should be increased.

Mouton was booked into the East Baton Rouge Parish Prison on charges of home invasion, aggravated burglary and sexual battery. He was first arrested in a home invasion that happened on Dec. 22, 2013 and DNA evidence linked him to a home invasion and sexual assault from Jan. 17.

The first home invasion happened on December 22, 2013 on Reymond Drive in Baton Rouge. The suspect, now believed to be Mouton, entered the house without consent of the homeowner and demanded she show him where the safe was and threatened to kill her, according to police. After a brief struggle, the suspect ran out of the house.  There was no other contact between the suspect and the victim during the struggle.

In the second home invasion, the 70-year old victim was alone at her home in the Sherwood Forest Subdivision, near Goodwood Blvd. At the time of the attack she woke up to find the subject crouching down near her bed.  Police say she tried to run but he grabbed her and physically subdued her, then sexually assaulted her. Reports say the suspect asked her for money, but she did not have any available and he ran out of the house. Detectives believe the suspect entered the residence by force through a patio door. 

Along with the first home invasion charge, Mouton has also been charged with aggravated burglary and sexual battery. Additional charges are pending.

There are at least two other recent home invasions that fit this pattern, but detectives have not said if those are linked to Mouton.

Copyright 2014 WAFB. All rights reserved.

Powered by WorldNow