BATON ROUGE, LA (WAFB) - A man charged in two home invasion attacks in Baton Rouge now has an attorney and a court date for his next hearing.
Judge Bonnie Jackson appointed a public defender for Vorris Mouton, 35, of New Iberia, Thursday morning and moved his bond hearing to Feb. 10, 2014. Mouton's initial bond was set at $40,000.
He faces charges in connection with a home invasion last week and another back in December. Prosecutors said with the charges and continued investigation, his bond should be increased.
Mouton was booked into the East Baton Rouge Parish Prison on charges of home invasion, aggravated burglary and sexual battery. He was first arrested in a home invasion that happened on Dec. 22, 2013 and DNA evidence linked him to a home invasion and sexual assault from Jan. 17.
The first home invasion happened on December 22, 2013 on Reymond Drive in Baton Rouge. The suspect, now believed to be Mouton, entered the house without consent of the homeowner and demanded she show him where the safe was and threatened to kill her, according to police. After a brief struggle, the suspect ran out of the house. There was no other contact between the suspect and the victim during the struggle.
In the second home invasion, the 70-year old victim was alone at her home in the Sherwood Forest Subdivision, near Goodwood Blvd. At the time of the attack she woke up to find the subject crouching down near her bed. Police say she tried to run but he grabbed her and physically subdued her, then sexually assaulted her. Reports say the suspect asked her for money, but she did not have any available and he ran out of the house. Detectives believe the suspect entered the residence by force through a patio door.
Along with the first home invasion charge, Mouton has also been charged with aggravated burglary and sexual battery. Additional charges are pending.
There are at least three other recent home invasions that fit this pattern, but detectives have not said if those are linked to Mouton.