Judge accepts insanity plea from mother charged in baby's death

Sabrina Maiden
Sabrina Maiden

BATON ROUGE, LA (WAFB) - A judge has accepted an insanity plea from a woman accused in the murder of her infant son.

Sabrina Maiden, 22, of Zachary, pleaded not guilty by reason of insanity in Judge Chip Moore's courtroom Thursday morning. She was originally charged with first-degree murder in the death of 2-month-old Prince Javeion Deshaun Brown.

"Judge Chip Moore accepted her plea; if you recall in November, we had three well-qualified experts testify in detail about her mindset at the time," said District Attorney Hillar Moore. "They opine that she was insane and did not know right from wrong at the time. Based on that, the judge accepted her plea today."

According to the district attorney, Maiden will be sent to a forensic facility, where she will remain for up to 40 years. He added under the law, she will be evaluated and continue to be evaluated. She will have another court appearance in June, at which time it will be determined if she is a harm to herself or others.

The baby boy was found dead in a ditch across the street from his home on April 10, 2012. The final autopsy report stated he died from blunt force trauma to the head.

"As you know from the facts of the case with the baby, she acted, that particular day it happened, she was naked and it was broad daylight and she left their home, crossed some fields, left the baby," said attorney Margaret Lagatutta. "The baby had an injury to the head."

The baby's father, Willie Brown Jr., 32, was also arrested. He was charged with possession with intent to distribute Schedule I narcotics and possession of a firearm with a controlled dangerous substance. Investigators said Brown had reported the infant missing earlier that morning.

The East Baton Rouge Parish Sheriff's Office said physical evidence on the scene indicated the child was left in an area of shallow water and evidence indicated the child was alive at the time he was abandoned.

"This is the right outcome for this one and I knew that from day one when it happened. I jumped on it right away and had the doctors seeing her from the day of her arrest. They uniformly, I got a phone call from all three within an hour, 'She is absolutely out of control and we have to put her in the hospital.' And they did," Lagatutta added.

Investigators said a search of the home turned up two handguns and 260 grams of marijuana inside.

Copyright 2014 WAFB. All rights reserved.