Elevator catches fire, traps delivery man inside - WAFB 9 News Baton Rouge, Louisiana News, Weather, Sports

Elevator catches fire, traps delivery man inside

Posted: Updated:
(Source: 9Reports Viewer) (Source: 9Reports Viewer)
BATON ROUGE, LA (WAFB) -

A small fire on the service elevator at a downtown business trapped one person between the 8th and 9th floor during lunch this afternoon.

The Baton Rouge Fire Department was called to the Chase Building, 450 Laurel Street, shortly before noon. Investigators quickly located the source of the smoke, which was contained to the elevator shaft.

"The motor on the service elevator burned out and sparked some small flames," Curt Monte, Baton Rouge Fire Department, explained. "The damage was confined strictly to the elevator motor. It was quickly extinguished and motor will have to be replaced before the elevator can return to use."

One man was in the elevator when the fire sparked. Monte says the confined area caused the individual to suffer from minor smoke inhalation. The individual was transported to the hospital.

"I believe the individual was there to make a food delivery," Monte explained.

Copyright 2014 WAFB. All rights reserved.

Powered by WorldNow