BATON ROUGE, LA (WAFB) - A man was forced to run out in the bitter cold after his house caught fire early Tuesday morning.
The Baton Rouge Fire Department responded to a house fire on Anglo Street just after 2 a.m. The home is near St. Aloysius Catholic Church.
Curt Monte with BRFD said the fire was caused by an equipment malfunction in the attic. He added the alarm in the home woke up the owner and he reported seeing flames when he opened the attic access door.
The homeowner safely escaped. It took firefighters about 20 minutes to get the fire under control and they kept the flames contained to the attic, but the home suffered heavy damage.
The Red Cross was called to assist the family.
It was so cold out that the water sent up steam when it hit the ground. The family was seen bundled up outside trying to keep warm.
Just an hour after that fire started, firefighters responded to another fire on Zeeland Avenue in the Garden District. Witnesses said the fire damaged a shed in the backyard of a home.
Luckily, no injuries were reported in that fire either.