Firefighters warn against plugging too many cords into one outlet

BATON ROUGE, LA (WAFB) - Firefighters are bracing for what are usually, unfortunately, a busy couple of days for them.

The Baton Rouge Fire Department said the biggest problem crews see this time of year is that people are simply plugging too many cords into one outlet. Also, those candles that smell so good and light up the room prove to be problematic again and again.

"Be sure to extinguish those candles before you leave," said Robert Combs with BRFD. "With your Christmas lights, ensure you don't have too many plugged into one outlet or one power strip. We find that a lot of those are overloaded will cause a fire if leave too many plugged in at one time."

Firefighters said to check the live Christmas trees to make sure they aren't too dry. The Christmas lights can catch the tree on fire if you're not watering it properly.

Copyright 2013 WAFB. All rights reserved.