BATON ROUGE, LA (WAFB) - A family lost their home and both of their vehicles in a house fire early Sunday morning just after midnight. At around 12:23 a.m., firefighters arrived at a house on Blake Drive in the Antioch Villa subdivision in Baton Rouge.
According to a report from the St. George Fire Protection District, the carport of the home was engulfed in fire with flames coming through the roof. The family heard the fire roaring outside and saw the carport set ablaze just as their smoke alarm went off.
The fire took about 30 minutes to control, but fire investigators were unable to perform a full investigation to determine the cause. Officials say the fire originated in the carport, and they will return during daylight hours to look further into how it may have started.
The report reveals that "the structure was a total loss". Two vehicles were destroyed, and about 33 percent of the home's roof, towards the back of the house, has "burned through and collapsed." The house's utilities were also severed.
A total of 9 family members were home at the time, including 2 adults and 7 children. Officials report that all members of the family escaped unharmed.
EBRSO Deputies, EMS, and the Red Cross were on scene for assistance. Arrangements for temporary housing and clothing, as well as replacement of medications and medical equipment lost in the fire, are being made.
Donations for the family can be taken to 301 New Rafe Meyer Road, Baton Rouge, LA 70807.
Sizes in clothing needed are:
1. Girl: Pants 5 Jr, med youth shirt, shoe size 9 women's
2. Boy: Pants 32/30, large shirt, shoe size 9 1/2 men's
3. Girl 14 girls, med top girls, shoe size 7 1/2
4. Boy size 10 top and bottoms, size 4 youth shoes
5. Girl size 7-8 top and bottom, size 13 kids shoes
6. Boy: 18 month old size clothing, size 5 toddler shoes, size 3 diapers
7. Boy size 10 top and bottom, size 4 youth shoes
8. Girl: size 8 top and bottom, size 2 youth shoes
9. Woman: size 14 bottom, size large to, size 9 shoes
A donation account has been set up at any Regions Bank under Shanita and Raunji Granison.