81 charges of fraud, theft filed against man contracted for Gust - WAFB 9 News Baton Rouge, Louisiana News, Weather, Sports

81 charges of fraud, theft filed against man contracted for Gustav cleanup

Posted: Updated:
Corey Delahoussaye Corey Delahoussaye
LIVINGSTON PARISH, LA (WAFB) -

Corey Delahoussaye, the man who has been under investigation for over-billing Livingston Parish for his part in the clean-up after Hurricane Gustav, surrendered himself to deputies Thursday evening. This week, a judge issued an arrest warrant for Delahoussaye based on the 81 charges District Attorney Scott Perrilloux has filed against him.

The charges total 11 pages.

Of those 81 charges, 73 counts are of filing or maintaining false public records. Those charges range from July 8, 2010 through September 5, 2011. Eight counts are of theft of more than $500. Those charges range from December 10, 2009 through February 23, 2011.

"I am not raping the parish," Corey Delahoussaye said two years ago, during an I-Team interview.

His company, C-Del., had been hired in 2009 by Livingston Parish to oversee debris removal after the hurricane. In 2011, his contract was terminated. By then he had billed the parish two million dollars.

Other allegations were made about his time sheets and whether he was working for the hours he billed the parish. The 9News I-Team questioned Delahoussaye about the time sheets, his invoices and pictures taken of him when he claimed to be working for the parish. He told a 9 News reporter his actions were all above board.

"Were there times that you put down that you were working and where you may have done personal errands, working out, swim meets - Is that possible," the reporter asked. To which Delahoussaye answered, "Yes, that is possible and the reason for that is when I started this process of working with FEMA I asked them specifically ‘what is a reasonable time period to charge?'"

The D.A. began investigating and also turned information over to the feds. Last week, a Livingston Parish grand jury failed to indict Delahoussaye of any wrongdoing. Nevertheless, District Attorney Scott Perrilloux is moving forward with the case.

"I find it confusing and unusual that after the grand jury finds not enough evidence to indict that he would charge him with all these counts," said John McClindon, Delahoussaye's attorney.

McClindon says his client will enter a not guilty plea. He says they will go to trial and Delahoussaye will take the stand.

"He's going to tell the whole story and I think a lot of people don't want that story to be told," McClindon said.

9 News did request a statement from Perrilloux, but was told there will be no comments made about this case.

McClindon says his client is expected to bond out of parish prison Thursday evening.

Copyright 2013 WAFB. All rights reserved.

Powered by WorldNow