Firefighters: House fire caused over $30K in damage - WAFB 9 News Baton Rouge, Louisiana News, Weather, Sports

Firefighters: House fire caused over $30K in damage

Posted: Updated:

A house caught fire early Saturday morning and caused about $35,000 worth of damage.

According to a report from the Baton Rouge Fire Department, firefighters arrived at 744 Florence Street in Baton Rouge at around 3:00 a.m., and found the attic of the house was set ablaze.  Firefighters were able to keep the fire from spreading to the rest of the house, and other parts of the home only received water and smoke damage.

The report states that the fire was caused by an electrical malfunction. The resident of the home told firefighters that before the fire began, he had noticed problems with the electrical breakers throughout the day, and was going to call an electrician the next day.

However, it was already too late.  The fire took about 30 minutes to control.

No injuries were reported. Red Cross was also called to the scene to assist the residents of the home.

Copyright 2013 WAFB. All rights reserved.

Powered by WorldNow