Turkey frying mishap sets 2 houses on fire - WAFB 9 News Baton Rouge, Louisiana News, Weather, Sports

Turkey frying mishap sets 2 houses on fire

Posted: Updated:
Both homes suffered roof damage from the fire. Both homes suffered roof damage from the fire.
The fire burned completely through the roof of this home. The fire burned completely through the roof of this home.
Firefighters douse the house with water to keep the flames from spreading to any other homes. Firefighters douse the house with water to keep the flames from spreading to any other homes.
Firefighters continued to spray the homes to put out any hotspots. Firefighters continued to spray the homes to put out any hotspots.
WALKER, LA (WAFB) -

A Thanksgiving gathering turned tragic, leaving two houses destroyed and a family at a loss, when a fire started while someone was frying a turkey.

It happened on Lockhart Street and Johnson Lane just after 1 p.m.

Flames were shooting through the rooftops of two houses when firefighters got there. According to the Lockhart family, the fire started at the white wood frame home and spread to the brick house next door.

They said a relative was trying to fry a turkey in a deep fat fryer and it caught fire.

"When I come out, the garage was engulfed and it was catching this house on fire and catching the back of the house on fire and everything just happened so fast from there," said one family member. "That fire was treacherous. It really is. It spread so fast and it was so hot."

No one was hurt in the fire, but one elderly woman was taken to the hospital to be treated for possible smoke inhalation.

There has been no word yet on an official cause of the fire. Everyone is reminded to be extra cautious when cooking with oil.

Copyright 2013 WAFB. All rights reserved.

Powered by WorldNow