BATON ROUGE, LA (WAFB) - Officials said a fire that started in the bedroom of a home Monday night is believed to have been caused by a cigarette.
The Baton Rouge Fire Department reported they were called out to the 3400 block of Canonicus Street, which runs parallel to I-110 between the interstate and Plank Road, just before 11 p.m.
Curt Monte with BRFD said firefighters arrived on the scene to find a mattress on fire in a back bedroom.
Crews were able to keep the flames from spreading beyond the bedroom, but the rest of the home had smoke damage.
The two people inside when the fire started were able to safely escape before firemen made it to the scene.
The Red Cross was called to help the family.