Group files petition to recall Sorrento Mayor Mike Lambert - WAFB 9 News Baton Rouge, Louisiana News, Weather, Sports

Group files petition to recall Sorrento Mayor Mike Lambert

BATON ROUGE, LA (WAFB) -

A petition to recall Sorrento Mayor Mike Lambert was filed Friday morning.

Recall chair Brian Sisk and co-chair Donald Trabeaux Jr. filed the petition at the Louisiana Secretary of State's office.

They said the mayor is an embarrassment to the town and getting rid of the police department was the last straw.

Lambert says he has done nothing wrong, but the recall is not unexpected. He said he stands by his decision to build his campaign on removing the police department.

He added the department makes up 63 percent of the town's budget and the town cannot afford to run its own police department. He said voters elected him knowing he wanted to dissolve the police department, so he's confident he will remain in office.

The group needs to collect 348 signatures and has 180 days to get them.

Two residents filed a petition Wednesday morning to recall Councilman Randy Anny.

The town council rejected an insurance policy that was on the table at Tuesday night's meeting.

Instead, Ascension Parish Sheriff Jeff Wiley will provide law enforcement for the town until January, so the council can continue to look for a new insurance provider for the police department.

All five of Sorrento's officers have resigned.

Lambert said the council just had too many questions about the insurance quote presented Tuesday. The biggest issue was that the new quote was double what the town had previously paid.

Lambert said it's about what's best for the nearly 1,500 people living in the town, something Sorrento Police Chief Earl Theriot agreed with.

Copyright 2013 WAFB. All rights reserved.

Powered by Frankly