Man convicted of manslaughter and attempted murder set to learn - WAFB 9 News Baton Rouge, Louisiana News, Weather, Sports

Man convicted of manslaughter and attempted murder set to learn his fate

Brandon Francois (Source: Tangipahoa Parish Sheriff's Office) Brandon Francois (Source: Tangipahoa Parish Sheriff's Office)
HAMMOND, LA (WAFB) -

A man convicted of shooting two people, resulting in the death of one of the victims, will learn his fate Wednesday.

Brandon Francois, 19, of Hammond, pleaded no contest to manslaughter and attempted murder on Nov. 4, stemming from a shooting in July of last year.

A manslaughter conviction in Louisiana carries a sentence of five to 40 years.

The Tangipahoa Parish Sheriff's Office reported Francois shot Larry Smith, 20, and Jarvis Mabry, 23, both of Hammond, on July 30, 2012. Smith died in the shooting.

Francois was arrested a few days later in Alabama.

TPSO said it received calls the evening of the incident with reports of gunshots fired on Durbin Road Extension and vehicle speeding off afterwards.

Mabry was the first victim investigators located. He was lying in the street.

Authorities said he was conscious and alert, despite having what appeared to be a gunshot wound to the head.

He was rushed to the hospital by Acadian Ambulance and was last listed in critical condition.

Responding deputies later happened upon Smith in a yard, as bystanders were performing CPR on him.

The deputies took over trying to resuscitate him until paramedics arrived. He, too, had been shot in the head.

Efforts to revive Smith failed and the Tangipahoa Parish Coroner's Office pronounced him dead at the scene.

Copyright 2013 WAFB. All rights reserved.

Powered by Frankly