Candle fire displaces Scottsdale family - WAFB 9 News Baton Rouge, Louisiana News, Weather, Sports

Candle fire displaces Scottsdale family

(Source: Scottsdale Fire Department) (Source: Scottsdale Fire Department)
(Source: Scottsdale Fire Department) (Source: Scottsdale Fire Department)
SCOTTSDALE, AZ (CBS5) -

A Scottsdale family displaced by fire is thankful automatic sprinklers kept it from spreading to adjoining apartments, firefighters said.

The family had left home with candles burning, said Scottsdale Fire Marshal Jim Ford. "There was an open window and the wind blew a piece of cloth onto the flames."

If the apartment complex had not been equipped with automatic fire sprinklers, the fire would have quickly spread to other units.

The sprinklers that were activated kept the blaze from growing until fire crews arrived to put it out.

"The damage is $37,000 but it could have been significantly more, even up to a $2.2 million loss with untold injuries," Ford said.

Scottsdale fire officials issued a warning for people who enjoy having lit candles during the holidays.

"Never leave candles unattended and do not leave children alone with matches or lit candles," fire officials said.  

Copyright 2013 CBS 5 (KPHO Broadcasting Corporation). All rights reserved.

  • Trending StoriesTrending StoriesMore>>

  • Arrest made in discovery of opium poppy plants in Catawba County

    Arrest made in discovery of opium poppy plants in Catawba County

    Tuesday, May 23 2017 6:34 PM EDT2017-05-23 22:34:17 GMT
    Steve Ohnesorge | WBTV)Steve Ohnesorge | WBTV)

    The Catawba County Sheriff's Office says the plants were found off Poultry Lane near Claremont.

    More >>

    The Catawba County Sheriff's Office says the plants were found off Poultry Lane near Claremont.

    More >>
  • Pregnant teen blocked from walking at graduation

    Pregnant teen blocked from walking at graduation

    Wednesday, May 24 2017 2:45 AM EDT2017-05-24 06:45:22 GMT
    Wednesday, May 24 2017 2:45 AM EDT2017-05-24 06:45:22 GMT

    The school principal says the student and her parents signed a covenant, vowing the teen wouldn’t have sex.

    More >>

    The school principal says the student and her parents signed a covenant, vowing the teen wouldn’t have sex.

    More >>
  • Deadly virus threatens local crawfish industry

    Deadly virus threatens local crawfish industry

    Tuesday, May 23 2017 7:26 PM EDT2017-05-23 23:26:19 GMT

    A deadly virus is threatening the crawfish industry in Southwest Louisiana. It's called white spot syndrome virus and it was first discovered in Thailand, but somehow it made its way to ponds in South Louisiana and specialists are struggling to find the funds to research a solution.  “The catch was increasing and increasing and then it dropped 70% and that's when you saw the dead crawfish floating in the water,” said a crawfish farmer of 34 years, Ian Garbarino. He...

    More >>

    A deadly virus is threatening the crawfish industry in Southwest Louisiana. It's called white spot syndrome virus and it was first discovered in Thailand, but somehow it made its way to ponds in South Louisiana and specialists are struggling to find the funds to research a solution.  “The catch was increasing and increasing and then it dropped 70% and that's when you saw the dead crawfish floating in the water,” said a crawfish farmer of 34 years, Ian Garbarino. He...

    More >>
Powered by Frankly